Protecting Your Privacy
NYS ENX is a voluntary, anonymous, exposure-notification smartphone app designed to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
- The app identifies when people are close to another app-enabled smartphone using Bluetooth technology.
- The app alerts you if you were in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
- The app also alerts other app-enabled smartphones if you test positive for COVID-19 and were in close contact with those individuals, based upon your consent to share close contact codes.
The use of this app is completely voluntary, and it can be downloaded for free on applicable iOS and Android enabled smartphones.
Privacy is protected by the app by keeping your data anonymous and not identifiable to any individual. The app is downloadable from the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store which is linked to an individual's mobile account. The system cannot identify any individual that downloads the app onto their iOS or Android device, individuals are also protected by Apple and Google's privacy policies.
For iPhones (iOS 12.5 or 13.7 and up) – If you choose to enable Exposure Notifications directly through your iPhone settings menu instead of downloading NYS ENX, the privacy protecting practices as described on this website still apply. Both NYS ENX and Exposure Notifications via iPhone settings use the same technology and privacy protecting features, and your identity will never be revealed to anyone.
Information processed in the App is collected in three different ways:
- Provided by you as the user (if you choose to provide it);
- Generated by services on the phone; and
- Automatically collected from your phone.
Metrics related to app adoption and usage are collected including number of app downloads and deletions. The app developers cannot identify any specific user that has downloaded or deleted the app. Any user that downloads the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store is subject to Apple and Google's overall app store privacy policies.
Specific to contact tracing, app metrics data includes:
- Number of app users who have Exposure Notification Services enabled – Tracks the daily size of the app enabled contact tracing network.
- Number of close contact notifications – Tracks the number of close contact notifications that are being generated for users that fit the close contact case definition.
- Number of app users who uploaded positive diagnosis keys for the purpose of triggering alerts.
- Number of matched diagnosis keys per positive exposure notification – Measures the number of exposure events per positive exposure notification.
Apple App Store and Google Play Store Terms & Conditions