New York State requires active involvement of its health care providers to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine to its 20 million residents. Health care providers must stay up-to-date on the COVID-19 vaccine distribution and implementation.
How To Order the COVID-19 Vaccine
Step One - Register for the Immunization Information System:
Healthcare providers are strongly recommended to register in NYSIIS for providers in NYS, outside of NYC, and with CIR for providers located in NYC. This is because all COVID-19 Vaccination Program providers (each location submitting a profile) will need a NYSIIS account (for providers outside of NYC) or CIR account (for providers located in NYC). Your organization may currently have a NYSIIS or CIR account, but it is important to ensure that the appropriate staff have access.
- For health care providers located in NYS outside of NYC, take the following steps for new users in NYSIIS - see the Checklist to Go Live with NYSIIS: 1). NYSIIS is located on the Health Commerce System (HCS). If responsible staff do not yet have an HCS account, they must apply for one, 2). Take the NYSIIS Administrative User Training.
- For health care providers located in NYC, go to the online CIR registration page.
Step Two – Enroll in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program:
- In addition to registering with NYSIIS or CIR, providers must enroll in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program. NYSDOH and NYC DOHMH are implementing a phased approach to provider enrollment and will notify healthcare facilities, providers and professional groups as each new group is opened for enrollment.
- Providers in NYS, outside of NYC, will enroll in the NYS COVID-19 Vaccination Program through the Health Commerce System application "COVID-19 Vaccine Program Provider Enrollment" and should review the NYSDOH COVID-19 Vaccination Program Enrollment Letter for guidance. Providers in NYC will enroll in the NYC COVID-19 Vaccination Program through the CIR.
- Networks with facilities or providers in both NYS and NYC should enroll their facilities or providers outside of NYC in the NYS COVID-19 Vaccination Program through the Health Commerce System and enroll their facilities or providers in NYC in the NYC Covid-19 Vaccination Program through the CIR.
Step Three – Ordering, Receiving and Administering Vaccine
- When COVID-19 vaccine is available, providers will order COVID-19 vaccine through NYSIIS (for providers in NYS, outside of NYC) and CIR (for providers in NYC). Orders will be reviewed and approved by NYS DOH and shipped directly from the vaccine manufacturer or CDC distributor.
- When vaccine is available, providers will monitor vaccine inventory; enter doses administered and/or perform data exchange (uploading and downloading data) between the provider's electronic health system and NYSIIS/CIR; enter vaccine returns and wastage; and generate reports for internal review (e.g. doses administered) in NYSIIS/CIR.
For questions, call the NYSDOH COVID-19 hotline 1-888-364-3065. Health care providers interested in learning more about the COVID-19 Vaccine Program may contact the NYSDOH at [email protected]. NYC providers with enrollment questions may contact NYC DOHMH at [email protected] or COVID-19: Vaccines.
Limited amounts of COVID-19 vaccine will be available during the first phase of the COVID-19 vaccination program in New York. The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) is developing a prioritization and allocation framework based on guidance from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
During this first phase, ACIP recommends that vaccines be provided to critical populations:
• Phase 1A: Healthcare personnel (i.e. paid and unpaid personnel working in a healthcare setting), first responders in medical roles such as emergency medical services providers, Medical Examiners and Coroners, funeral workers, and persons living in and working in Long-Term Care Facilities (LTCFs) and long-term, congregate settings overseen by OPWDD, OMH and OASAS
The following document provides COVID-19 vaccination prioritization and allocation framework for Emergency Medical Services Personnel, for weeks 1-4 (through January 10, 2021).
Providers can find a range of documents and guidance on administering the COVID-19 vaccine.
Information for providers about the vaccine distribution process.
Information for vaccine providers on how to redistribute the COVID-19 vaccine.
This document provides information for Healthcare Professionals about the Screening Checklist for the COVID-19 Vaccine.
This letter provides additional detail on the establishment of Regional Vaccination Networks and clarifies the role of health care providers in this effort and emphasizes the expectation that health care providers fully participate in their local Regional Vaccination Network.
This document provides information for Healthcare Professionals about the New York State COVID-19 Vaccine Form.
Overview of the COVID-19 Vaccination Provider Storage and Handling Requirements